Thursday 23 August 2012

Travel checklist

We're off on holiday soon so I'm currently trying to make lists of things I need to pack, in the vain hope that this will help me be more organised. Although I love technology, I do find that in the list making stakes it's not doing me any favours.

Granted, thanks to my iPhone, I now no longer need a notebook or diary in which to jot down phone numbers or appointments - everything is contained in this little gadget of calendar and phonebook wizardry . There's a tree or two saved in my lifetime.

But lists? Not so phone friendly. Yes, I have tried using the 'Notes' app but I'm afraid to say I've found it pretty useless. Maybe I'm not particularly dextrous but typing out a list like that takes forever, and even then I end up with a shopping list that looks like this.



This should in fact read: nappies, razors and Dentinox...

So, usually, when I want to make a shopping list/take a message etc, I grab a random piece of paper (usually an envelope or till receipt) and scribble it on there. Often the only writing instrument I can find is a highlighter or unsharpened pencil (or in extreme cases a lipliner) so it takes more than one attempt to write anything legible and I'm still probably the only one who's likely to ever decipher it. Still, there it is.

But do you think I can ever find this random piece of paper again? Of course not.


I briefly considered using one of those clever travel apps that comes with a ready-made checklist that you can customise. But really, do I have the time to faffing around with customising these things? Surely my time would be better spent actually packing. If I have to I can resign myself to buying a forgotten toothpaste or pair of pyjamas while I'm away.

I'd love to hear what you do to make sure you've packed everything. Are you a list user? Do you have any helpful tips on being organised when packing for a holiday?

6 comments:

  1. I have a master packing list that lives in a notebook full of other lists... Sad, but true. And helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you actually follow them? I am in awe. Please come organise my life for me...

      Delete
  2. I have a notebook that I rewrite my packing list in each year, copying it from the previous holiday's list. That way I can cross out each thing as it goes in the suitcase.

    We always go to my mum's in France, so we've got a lot of clothes and toiletries there already which cuts down on packing. This year however I forgot that on all previous trips I have been breastfeeding, so had to take feeding bras. This year I thought, I don't need those on the list - but didn't replace them with normal bras!! 3 weeks with only the bra I travelled in! (had to use a bikini top I had there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're also so organised! (Until the bra incident of course). You'll only do that once though!

      Delete
  3. I'm an old fashioned notebook girl when it comes to the holiday packing list! ;) I'm still perfecting the master though, my LO is 8 months old and we've been away three times so far, each time we've had further packing success but not there yet - always pack too much... I'm off on hols again (making the most of maternity leave TBH) in 3 weeks so I reckon it's 4th time lucky ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Not sure I've ever packed completely successfully. Always seem to forget my pyjamas for some reason... Have a great holiday!

      Delete